Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Extended Response Tweeters


I received a pair of B-stock Extended Response Tweeters (ERTs) from an AV123 forum member recently and hooked them up last night.


They connect directly to your positive/negative leads on your speaker (no additional drive/amp required).


What are ERTs? They are "super tweeters", responsible for reproducing frequencies from the 11KHZ to 20KHZ range.


Most people can't hear above 16KHZ, so you say why even have these? Because although we may not be able to hear the upper frequencies - they still resonate tiny bones in our ear that we can feel - which modifies the sound slightly to give it an "airy" feel.


Anyway I tried them out and I think I like my speakers without them. I don't believe them to be a gimmick, just didn't work for me as my speakers are already very detailed/non-fatiguing. There is enough of a difference that I will try them with another set of speakers later....


Cost me $200 used - roughly $450 new.


No comments: